We are here show you a completely safe, natural and effective way to clean your oven — no harsh chemicals and no high-heat auto-cleaning with smoke detector funny business. It takes a little time and some elbow grease, but the payoff is well worth it. Plus, you most likely have everything you need to take on this project already in your cupboards.
Here is how you clean your oven naturally with a little vinegar, baking soda, and good ol' elbow grease!
What You Need:
Damp dish cloth
Plastic or silicone spatula
1. Remove the oven racks: Remove your oven racks, pizza stone, oven thermometer, and anything else you have inside the oven. Set aside.
2. Make a baking soda paste: In a small bowl, mix a 1/2 cup of baking soda with a few tablespoons of water. Adjust the ratio of both as needed until you have a spreadable paste. You need about 3 tablespoons of water to get the desired spreadable consistency.
3. Coat your oven: Spread the paste all over the interior surfaces of your oven, steering clear of the heating elements. Use gloves for this part if the oven is very dirty. This will help really get in there and coat the dirtiest nooks and crannies without having to worry about all that grime under your nails. The baking soda will turn a brownish colour as you rub it in; it also might be chunkier in some places than others. That is fine. Just try to coat the whole oven to the best of your abilities, paying attention to any particularly greasy areas.
4. Let it sit overnight: Allow the baking soda mixture to rest for at least 12 hours, or overnight.
5. Clean your oven racks: Meanwhile, clean your oven racks.
6. Wipe out the oven:After 12 hours or overnight, take a damp dish cloth and wipe away as much of the dried baking soda paste as you can. Use a plastic or silicone spatula to help scrape off the paste as needed. You may find that the damp cloth is enough for me, but a spatula might come in handy in those hard-to- reach places.
7. Spray a little vinegar: Put a little vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz everywhere you still see baking soda residue in your oven. The vinegar will react with the baking soda and gently foam.
8. Do a final wipe down: Take your damp cloth and wipe out the remaining foamy vinegar-baking-soda mixture. Repeat until all the baking soda residue is gone. Add more water or vinegar to your cloth as needed while wiping to really get the oven clean and shiny.
9.Replace your oven racks:Replace the oven racks and anything else you keep in your oven and you're done.
Still not convinced that cleaning is the best use of your time? Give Zjcleaning a call on 0800 368 7446 to find a 5-star regular cleaner, so you can enjoy the spring sunshine. And don't forget to recommend us and get £15 off from your next booking.